Royal Holloway, University of London is delighted to offer Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC) Block Grant Partnership (BGP) studentships to UK and European Union resident students. There are two types of studentship available:
1) Research Preparation Master's Studentship (RPM) - for students who intend to proceed to doctoral study. Students applying for this scheme will study for a Master's qualification (not MPhil) that will prepare them for doctoral study, and should be intending to proceed to doctoral study after completion of this Master's qualification. Rates for 2013/14 are £11,585 for maintenance and £3,700 for fees (full time). The difference between College fees and the AHRC fees award is waived.
2) Doctoral Awards Studentship (Doc) - for students who are applying to undertake PhD study. This includes students who are applying initially as an MPhil student with the intention to upgrade to PhD study. Rates for 2013/14 are £15,726 for maintenance and £3,900 for fees (full time).
1) Download and complete the relevant application form - please ensure that the award is still available:
2) The AHRC application form includes referees’ report. It is your responsibility to ensure that your referees submit their report by the set deadline to the relevant academic department. If you decide to use the same references submitted with your application for admission, please ensure that the Admissions Office already has these documents. Please also ensure that the academic department is informed.
3) Completed applications must be submitted to relevant academic department at RHUL. Please check the department’s website for the deadline.
4) Successful applicants will be contacted by Scholarships Administration in writing with the offer of the award. The offer needs to be formally accepted before any arrangement for payment can be put in place.
All types of AHRC funding is subject to the AHRC Terms and Conditions. Please ensure that you are familiar with them: they are available in the AHRC Student Funding Guide. You can find out current maintenance and fee rates on the AHRC's page for Current Research Students.
If you wish to contact your prospective academic department, please consult our list of Directors of Graduate Studies at Royal Holloway, which can be found on this page.
Doctoral students funded by the AHRC can apply to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences to access the AHRC Research Training Support Grant to support study visits or overseas conferences.